Photos: Whatcott & Pawloski debate hoards of students U of C

Get togethers, protests, pickets, activism, discuss it here!

Photos: Whatcott & Pawloski debate hoards of students U of C

Postby Bill Whatcott » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:26 am

Bill Whatcott talking with a student who self identified as a homosexual and Pastor Art Pawlowski is talking with an American
student who identified as an atheist

Bill Whatcott and some friends who came out to support him! :happy:

When a small and vocal group of pro-homosexual and pro-abortion students started complaining about us being on campus sharing our message, the University of Calgary responding by putting these warning signs around our display

Here is a vocal student who took it upon herself to warn students about our table. While she didn't strike me as being very fearful or intimidated by my presence, she was a big supporter of "safe spaces." The young lady was certainly unhappy with the expression of my views, and she was clear that she thought I belonged in jail. rebel_shock

Reporter for The Gauntlet student newspaper talking to me about our prophetic witness at the University of Calgary. I am showing him the premature born wanted baby who is alive at 24 weeks and the unwanted pre-born baby who was murdered at the same age.

A Godly older fellow in a tie came out to lend his support and he was quickly surrounded by a half dozen or so students and took up some of the slack by sharing the truth with them. There was also a middle aged lady and a young fellow who appeared to be Pastor Art's friend who came and shared with some of the students and supported our display.

Here are some counter protesters from "Queers on Campus." A couple of the students from the pro-homosexual and pro-abortion side were nasty and disrespectful and whined that mine and Pastor Art's message was hurting them and should therefore be censored. I believe the narrative that adult, publicly funded, campuses need to be "safe spaces" where only pro-homosexual and pro-abortion views are allowed to be expressed needs to be challenged and defeated. The one student on the right wearing a brown sweater and glasses, named Matthew impressed me fairly early on. His tone was initially hostile, but he was polite and asked fairly intellegent questions. In his own words he wanted to see what we were about before protesting us. As one can see from the picture above Matthew disagreed with our views enough to join the "Queers on Campus" protest. Matthew is a homosexual, however for the entire time Matthew was protesting us he was polite, articulate, and he acknowledged (unlike some of the others) that university campuses need to be open to views he may not share. I do pray Matthew repents and finds Jesus as his Lord and Saviour one day, as his sharp mind and ability to think critically and disagree respectfully would be a real asset in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Both before and after the barricade and warning went up it seemed the students weren't too badly traumatized by mine and Pastor Art's so-called "hate speech." A huge crowd of students along with a few faculty gathered around us to challenge us on various topics, ranging from abortion and rape, to evolution vs creation, to does God make "gay" people, to homosexuality in the animal kingdom, to hate speech vs free speech, to can I offer proof for the existence of God, and much, much more... Pro-homosexual pride protesters (see in background) protested our presence on the campus.

While those demanding I be arrested and either removed from campus or charged with so-called hate speech were vocal, I was pleasantly surprised by how many students actually agreed with us or at least respected our right to be there. I would estimate between Art and I we had close to a dozen students openly say they agreed with some or most of our views, especially on abortion, and a couple even on homosexuality. While they were a minority they were brave to counter the prevailing narrative of their university and one student even jumped into the debate and took on some of the students which freed me up to respond to other students.

Of course most students disagreed with me, but at least even in this group many and possibly even more than half at some point agreed we had a right to express our views. This was truly encouraging as much of my life work has been countering politically correct censorship on publicly funded campuses and I pretty much thought (I have been arrested twice and had to go to trial twice to fight for the right to speak on this campus) the University of Calgary was a hotbed of left wing censorship by students and faculty alike. While some of what I saw today is discouraging, some students used swear words and resorted to personal attacks rather than deal with the issues, one student stole my basket of Gospel condoms and robbed his fellow students of the opportunity to get one for themselves, security did nothing to protect our private property when it was being stolen, nor did they protect Pastor Art when one student was physically aggressive and tried to block him; still compared to other visits there was things the university did well and there was much to be grateful for too.

Faculty and management was polite and they did not shut us down. Most students respected the property (which was free and available to all of them) and limited themselves to taking what they wanted to read and left the rest so their fellow students could have some and make up their own minds. The majority of students did not demand our arrest, behave rudely or aggressively, and many challenged us with really thoughtful and tough questions and arguments, which was what we signed up for when we went there.

This young Muslim lady spent quite a bit of time arguing with me. She did get a little hot headed. To my surprise she didn't seem to mind my views on the Divinity of Jesus Christ too much. She really got worked up over my opposition to abortion and homosexuality. Notwithstanding her choice to wear a hijab, her views on sexuality and the sanctity of human life are extremely secular. The one thing I appreciated about her is even though she yelled at me and got mad she spoke up and said she did not agree with the person who stole my Gospel condoms..... :thankyou:

Two police officers and a university administrator present towards the end of our presentation and debate with the students. A sign with an arrow directing students to where they can fill out a complaint to have me barred from the campus.

Police, students and university employees crowded around our table as our presentation ends. At 4:30 pm Pastor Art and I wrapped up and while the session was not perfect, I had to take a moment and thank the administrators who were present for being so accomodating of us. One professor who was present and observed a lot of the debate was really unhappy with us and he told me the expression of my views and belief in a 2000 year old book was rubbish. There is no question our public expression of our beliefs in what we know to be true is hard to accept for many faculty who are use to working in overwhelmingly secular campuses where very few challenge their prevailing left wing narratives. I challenged the Professor that when I went to post secondary I certainly heard proselytizing from left wing professors in favour of homosexual rights, abortion, their belief in the superiority of secularism, and on more than one occassion even outright politicking; calling on the students to support and vote for the NDP. I found all of the above to be offensive and believed some of those presentations to be wrong. If I had to pay both tuition and taxes to listen to that, even though it had nothing to do with my course content, then indeed I should be able to talk about my God and moral values on Canada's publicly funded campuses.

A security vehicle follows Pastor Art and I off of campus

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, 'The just shall live by faith.'
Romans 1:16, 17
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Photos: Whatcott & Pawloski debate hoards of students U

Postby Bill Whatcott » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:56 am

Facebook Post from Student's Union apologizing for giving us a table
University of Calgary Students' Union
8 hrs ·
https://www.facebook.com/suuofc/posts/1307152099296022

As many of you are aware a group booked a table today in MacEwan Student Centre and distributed homophobic and transphobic materials. This individual booked the table through us and for that we are very sorry. We made a mistake and did not assess the situation appropriately. We strive to provide a safe, secure environment for the students, staff and the entire campus community and today we did not do that.

This individual, the group and his material do not represent the views of the SU. This is not who we are and we will take steps to ensure that this never happens again.

We are sorry for the hurt that we caused for having this individual in our building.

If you would like to speak with us further, please email VP Operations and Finance Branden Cave at suvpfin@ucalgary.ca. All complaints will be forwarded to Campus Security.

Not sure how the student's union failed to "assess" my group. Here is our online application and this coupled with two arrests and court battles related to the type of literature and views that I share should have given them enough to accurately "assess" me and my group. Of course I think those who are crying for censorship are failing to appreciate that the Charter is being found to apply to university campuses and most judges are thankfully recognizing that universities have to be open to the sharing of views they may disagree with.

Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill Whatcott » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:22 am

The Gauntlet
Anti-LGBTQ activists in front of Q Centre stir up student protest
FacebookTwitterGoogle+RedditShare
By Scott Strasser, October 14 2016
http://www.thegauntlet.ca/anti-lgbtq-ac ... t-protest/

(No I did not claim 90% of the students agreed with me and no I did not choose the spot in front of the Sexual and Gender Diversity Centre (Not that I think there is anything wrong with me being there anyways), the Student's Union chose to put me in front of the pro-homosexual/pro-transvestite office.)
Bill Whatcott

Members of the Queers on Campus student club at the University of Calgary protested in MacHall on Oct. 14 after an anti-LGBTQ activist group set up in front of the Students’ Union Q Centre.

The Christian Truth Activists (CTA) are an evangelical Christian group that advocates against non-heterosexuality and abortion.

The group’s table in MacHall included posters with graphic images of aborted babies and sexually transmitted infections. Two members of the group promoted their messages to passersby in MacHall throughout the day.

A few hours after the group set up, Queers on Campus members stood by the table with a rainbow flag. Later, several dozen U of C students stopped to argue with the evangelical group.

“It’s really sad that in this age we have this going on on a university campus. They’re saying 90 per cent of U of C students agree with them. That’ clearly not the case,” said Em Rogers, an executive with Queers on Campus.

Rogers thought the proximity of the CTA’s table to the Q Centre was intentional.

“I think it was definitely targeted towards the Q Centre,” Rogers said. “There are other religious organizations that will set up there, but they usually don’t engage with us. The proximity to the Q Centre sounds like it was planned.”

CTA executive director Bill Whatcott said his group was exercising its right to freedom of speech on a public campus.

“It’s not a protest as much as an education. I’m here sharing the gospel with the students. This is exercising my right to freedom of speech,” Whatcott said. “The university has finally relented on trying to silence and censor me, so they gave me this table.”

Whatcott said he felt some passersby agreed with his message and the vast majority respected his right to free speech.

“These students obviously disagree with me, so they are counter-protesting me, which is fine. Honestly, most of these students have been pretty reasonable, although they viscerally disagree with me,” Whatcott said. “I happen to think I have the truth, therefore I really want to share this with the students.”

In the midst of the protest, U of C campus security set up signs near the table warning passersby that graphic images lay ahead.

Whatcott said the CTA paid $85 for the table, which they booked for the day until 4:30 p.m. from the U of C Students’ Union.

SU vice-president operations and finance Branden Cave said the SU apologizes for giving the space to the CTA.

“We had no anticipation this would be what was displayed,” Cave said. “We book Christian groups in the tables quite frequently. We didn’t know those images would be displayed and we’re very sorry for that.”

Whatcott is currently in a $104-million lawsuit after attending the Toronto Gay Pride Parade dressed as a zombie. He also lost a recent Supreme Court of Canada lawsuit over his distribution of anti-LGBTQ flyers in Saskatchewan in the early 2000s.

In response to the incident, the Q Centre posted a statement on their Facebook page informing students there is an alternative route to the centre through a side stairwell if they wish to avoid the area.

Comments

Mark Randall · HEAT Program Coordinator at HIV Community Link
Perhaps a review of what is planned for displays in advance including copies of literature and posters to be displayed would be of value.
Like · Reply · 17 · 8 hrs

Lilian Guan
Extremely necessary so this doesn't happen again.
Like · Reply · 3 · 7 hrs

Stephen Love · University of Calgary
As much as we may not agree with their message, we shouldn't bar them from protesting at the university. If they aren't allowed to speak, why should we be?
Unlike · Reply · 7 · 7 hrs

Susannah T Hippy
Because "freeze peaches" doesn't equal promoting hatred and misinformation.
Like · Reply · 6 · 7 hrs

Stephen Love · University of Calgary
Susannah T Hippy "Free speach" also means one group doesn't get to decide what is considered hatred and misinformation. I cannot comment on the credibility of the content they were presenting because I didn't take the time to stop and speak with them myself, though they certainly weren't spouting hellfire.
Like · Reply · 1 · 6 hrs

Robyn Pagenkopf · Accounting and Office Management at Alberta Pallet Co. Ltd.
The university is first and foremost, a place for education. How does allowing someone promoting views that a large portion of the students find upsetting and even downright disturbing contribute to a healthy learning environment? It doesn't.
Like · Reply · 8 · 5 hrs

Jonathan Edward · St. Mary's High School (Calgary)
Robyn Pagenkopf absolutely agree!
Like · Reply · 5 hrs

Zachary Metz
Susannah T Hippy so do you get to decide what free speach is?
Like · Reply · 4 hrs

Taylor Stewart · Calgary, Alberta
Stephen Love what about the fact a man is commenting about what a woman should or shouldn't do with her body? How does freedom of speech align with demeaning or potentially retraumatizing women? And as for him spewing his garbage about homosexuality, that is a hate crime in my eyes. If his "freedom of speech" has the ability to hurt someone else, it is unacceptable.
Like · Reply · 4 · 4 hrs

Taylor Stewart · Calgary, Alberta
Zachary Metz speech*
Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs

Ryan Czenczek · Calgary, Alberta
Robyn Pagenkopf yeah your right University IS a place first and foremost about education. It doesn't matter if the majority of people don't agree with the views. Because it is a place of education, we need to welcome free speech, debate and conversations about topics even lots of people don't agree with them. Silencing views and perspectives because people feel "uncomfortable" has no place on a Univeristy campus.
Like · Reply · 2 · 4 hrs

Ryan Czenczek To reiterate what I said elsewhere: It would be one thing if they actually engaged in intellectual debate. But they don't, they just talk around any questions or good points made and change the subject and twist people's words to something they never said. There's a big difference between debate and intellectual honesty, and people that are stubbornly set in their views shouting "I'M RIGHT I'M RIGHT I'M RIGHT SHUT UP EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG YOU SHOULD ALL CONVERT TO MY BELIEFS." Which is not quite literally what they're doing, but figuratively, pretty much.
Like · Reply · 3 · 4 hrs

Okay well then I would ask "we're you there Robyn? Can you 100% clarify that's exactly what they were doing the entire time?" If you can't, then you can't really make that claim. And if you were there the whole time and can say without a doubt that's what they were doing, then that's fine. In that case they are just publicly displaying there idiocy and stupidity for everyone. I don't agree with these people but I agree with there right to speak. If there making intellectual debate then perfect let's debate them, if there being idiots and shouting idiotic statements and not engaging with anyone then perfect as well. They are driving people away from there ideas if they do that. It is a productive thing for people to display there bad ideas because those ideas become ridiculed and ultimately by others.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

It's important to discuss ideas, if there bad then they will easily be outed as bad. But we they need to be out in the open first in order to be taken down.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Bill Whatcott · Follower of Jesus Christ at Self-Employed
Ryan Czenczek You can ask the campus security they were there during our persentation at least most of the time. We were polite and respectful and answered questions head on and coherently, though perhaps many (not all) of the students may have disagreed with our answers.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Vanessa Wenzel · University of Calgary
Freedom of speech is one thing. They are free to speak their minds, but graphic images are not speech. Ratings on movies are used to give people a choice about whether or not they want to be exposed to potentially traumatizing images. It doesn't mean these images can't exist, it means that people have the right not to have to be exposed to them. At the end of the day, like it or not, propagation of hate is illegal in Canada. Isolating a specific group as "lesser" or condemnable based on race, sexuality, gender etc. is pretty much the first definition to come up if you search "hate speech"... w...See More
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Rick Hall · University of Lethbridge
Seems interesting how little tolerance for an opposing view different groups have. If ur going to allow any group the ability to promote their views then all groups must be allowed the same rights
Like · Reply · 1 · 7 hrs

Jonathan Edward · St. Mary's High School (Calgary)
I would agree to a point. But being a gay man I can speak first hand to growing up in a society that makes you feel as though you are not welcome nor do you belong. Everyone has the right and freedom to speak their mind as long as it isn't inciting hatred or bigotry. The " truth group" is completly inciting hatred and doing exactly the opposite of what Jesus preached. So instead of you blindly saying all forms of speech are equal you may want to rethink your argument. Because you clearly have not felt hate like that mate.
Like · Reply · 4 · 5 hrs

Rick Hall · University of Lethbridge
Jonathan Edward your right I haven't felt that hate. But I have been stereotyped, bullied, and judged by others. No a disagreeing view is not always hate either and that seems to be often missed on both sides of this argument. I realize there was a time when the gay community was not allowed a voice but that doesn't mean that now all opposing need to be silenced either.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs

Thomas Poulsen · Calgary, Alberta
"Alternative route...through a side stairwell"? Pray tell, how is a LGBTQ student who uses a wheelchair supposed to employ this to gain access? Once again, students with disabilities aren't even an afterthought.
Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs

I think before snide making comments like this, it would be a good idea to look up the elevators and find out that there is in fact one at the east end of Mac Hall that would allow a disabled student access to the Q Centre without having to pass by this table. The stairwell in question is one marked "emergency exit only" and consequently needs to be mentioned.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Anna Scarlett Louise Bishop · Peer Support at Q: The SU Centre for Sexual & Gender Diversity
It is actually wheel chair accessable, thats just the closest landmark we have. And if anyone is needing assistance the volenteers are more then happy to assist
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Glenna Miles
Graphic images which may or may not represent the intention presented by the 'free speech' advocate should not be displayed openly. Should someone wish to view verified graphic images they can ask to see them. I have seen images that claim to represent aborted fetus material that clearly were questionable. Taking a worst case scenario and suggesting it is the rule is disengenuous at best and deceitful in nature. All attempts to prevent shaming a student attending the school, or retraumatising a victim of a violent miscarriage, spontaneous abortion, or naturally occuring result of an accident or injury would need to be exercised and guarded against.

Free speech is a catch phrase. It does not guarantee you can say whatever you want, anywhere you want to, any time you want to. But you can say what you want somewhere. Other people have the right not to have someone else's free speech infringe on their right not to hear it.
Like · Reply · 4 · 2 hrs

Bill Whatcott · Follower of Jesus Christ at Self-Employed
If you want to censor content that you don't want to hear on your private property I agree. If you want to censor content on yours (and mine) publicly funded university, I disagree if you are saying I can't have a table because you seem to think my photos (which are of abortions committed in the second trimester, which is legal in Canada, and which occurs in publicly funded hospitals in Calgary) are questionable, or you think my accurate information is somehow traumatizing adults, who are going to become Canada's future leaders and seemed to crowd around my table by the dozens (of their own free will) to ask questions and debate my answers.
Like · Reply · 1 hr

Christina Robinson · Simone, Calabria, Italy
Bill Whatcott what are you intending to do with the picture you took of me? I did not consent to having my photo taken, nor was I even interacting with your table. You are aware that FOIP requires explicit consent for you to use these photographs in any marketing or advertising ways?
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill Whatcott » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:25 am

If you can join us at the University of Regina come out and stand!

Riddel Centre
3737 Wascana Pkwy, Regina SK
Tuesday, October 18, 2016,

Christians coming out of the closet as monogamous heterosexuals
Time:12:00 - 13:00

Seeing as I got the table for the day I will be at the campus by 9:00 am and will likely stay for the day to minister to the needs of students and faculty suffering from Political Correctness Facts Disorder (PCFD).

In Christ's Service
Bill Whatcott

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
John 1:14
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Gatherings and Activism