Media coverage University of Regina witness, CBC Balanced, L

Get togethers, protests, pickets, activism, discuss it here!

Media coverage University of Regina witness, CBC Balanced, L

Postby Bill Whatcott » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Leader Post not so much..... shameonyou

Bill Whatcott (in red at centre) engages passer-by at his display set up in the University of Regina on Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016.

He's back — controversial activist Bill Whatcott returns to University of Regina
BARB PACHOLIK, REGINA LEADER-POST
More from Barb Pacholik, Regina Leader-Post
Published on: October 18, 2016
http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/h ... -of-regina

Separated by a rainbow flag, at one end of a corridor at the University of Regina sat a controversial religious, anti-gay activist and at the other end supporters of UR Pride Centre and Campus Ministry.

The ministry and Pride services responded when they heard Bill Whatcott was coming Tuesday.

“We’re hoping to catch people walking by if they’re feeling targeted by his messaging,” said Leo Keiser, UR Pride Centre for Sexuality and Gender Diversity executive director. “We’re hoping people can feel some sort sense of community, support.”

The centre also took advantage of the attention to announce it has been working with the U of R on a student bursary aimed at supporting LGBTQIA+ students to access an education at the university.

Whatcott set up a photo display under the headline, “Helping Christians come out of the closet.” In turn, Pride supporters stood nearby with signs cautioning passersby of “hateful messages ahead.”

Whatcott, notorious for his graphic posters opposing homosexuality and abortion, shouted offers of free gospel condoms. “They’re all gospel and no actual latex,” he later explained.

Despite his previous arrests on the Regina campus, an unrelenting, unrepentant Whatcott decided to drop in again. “I did win the court battle, so I might as well exercise it by being here.”

He moved away for about a year to the Philippines, where he went broke trying to run a small restaurant, and his Filipino wife worried his preaching was going to get him killed. So he came back to Canada and picked up where he left off. He has being sued over his flyers distributed at the Toronto Pride Parade.

Most students took little notice of Whatcott; a few stopped to ask questions; and others verbally jousted with him. “I think you’re too closed minded,” Whatcott told one woman. “I think this is close minded,” she fired back.

Luther College chaplain Rev. Sean Bell said Campus Ministry wanted to be available to anyone upset with Whatcott’s message — “a positive response to a negative situation.” Countering Whatcott’s sign, Bell noted, “it’s a good opportunity for Christians to come out of the closet and say I support gay people too.”

bpacholik@postmedia.com
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Media coverage University of Regina witness, CBC Balance

Postby Bill Whatcott » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:41 pm

U of R reluctantly allows Whatcott on campus

Controversial activist Bill Whatcott returns to University of Regina
Previous court decision leaves university with 'limited options', says U of R president
By Dean Gutheil, CBC News Posted: Oct 18, 2016
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3810641

Long-time controversial activist Bill Whatcott returned to the University of Regina Tuesday, once again preaching his message that homosexuality and abortion is wrong.

"This is where the future decision-makers are and this is a great opportunity to engage them," said Whatcott.

"Something other than the politically correct narrative."

Whatcott was allowed to set up a table in a high traffic area inside the school. He displayed some graphic photos and offered what he called "gospel condoms".

The packages didn't contain condoms. Inside was anti-homosexual literature and gospel scriptures.

In 2014, Bill Whatcott and another man were arrested and taken away in handcuffs after distributing literature on the University of Regina campus.

'Unfortunately, a past court decision leaves the university with limited options or restricting him from coming to campus and/or distributing literature.'
- Vianne Timmons, University of Regina president

They were charged with mischief under the Criminal Code but the charge was dismissed.

University of Regina president Vianne Timmons provided a statement about Whatcott's visit.

"Though courts have acknowledged the discriminatory nature of his materials that he has distributed in the past, unfortunately, a past court decision leaves the university with limited options or restricting him from coming to campus and/or distributing literature," she said.

Pride centre sets up own table

To counter Whatcott, UR Pride Centre for Sexuality and Gender Diversity, set up its own table nearby.

Lindsay Desrochers, who is openly gay, condemned Whatcott's message.

"Free speech doesn't impede on other people's ability to live in the world," said Desrochers. "What he's preaching is hate against gay people.

"What he says affects how other people may see me when I walk in the world with my girlfriend. In turn I may experience physical harm because of his message."

Whatcott has previously dismissed that his message is hate speech. Instead, he has said it is an opposing view.

One person stood by Whatcott's table with a sign that read, "Do not engage. Keep walking. Hateful messages ahead."

Whatcott said he expected to encounter opposition.

"I'm not surprised to have people opposing me." said Whatcott. "If they're respectful and don't damage my stuff, then I'm happy."

Whatcott planned to spend the day on campus.
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Gatherings and Activism