Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics

All discussions and news pertaining to religion can go here!

Postby Bill Whatcott » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Good for Pastor Hagee!!! :hello1:
While the media might want to compare Pastor Hagee to Obama's Pastor Jeremiah Wright its clear Pastor Hagee is twice the man Wright is. I sense his apology is sincere and heartfelt. The truth is many sincere Christians view the Pope as the anti-Christ. While I see this as unfortunate and definitely a sign of sheer ignorance and lack of understanding of either Scripture or the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, still thats where some Christians are at and they should be reached out to rather than shunned. It is also worth noting many Catholics are as guilty of bashing fellow Christians outside our communion as Pastor Hagee is of Catholic bashing with one difference. Pastor Hagee has humbled himself and apologized. I hope Catholics who like to bash God fearing and Christ loving Evangelicals will learn a lesson from the righteous pastor John Hagee :nono2: ....
P.s if anyone has access to Pastor Hagee's apology I would be very grateful if you post it here for us to read.
Sincerely Bill Whatcott

"A man’s pride will bring him low,
But the humble in spirit will retain honor."

Proverbs 29:23

[size=18px]Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics[/size]
By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer
50 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_ ... gee_letter

WASHINGTON - John Hagee, an influential Texas televangelist who endorsed John McCain, apologized to Catholics Tuesday for his stinging criticism of the Roman Catholic Church and for having "emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of Catholic and Protestant relations with the Jews."

Hagee's support for McCain has drawn cries of outrage from some Catholic leaders who have called on McCain to reject Hagee's endorsement. The likely Republican nominee has said he does not agree with some of Hagee's past comments, but did not reject his support.

In a letter to William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Civil and Religious Rights, Hagee wrote: "Out of a desire to advance a greater unity among Catholics and evangelicals in promoting the common good, I want to express my deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful."

Donohue, one of Hagee's sharpest critics, said he accepted the apology and planned to meet with Hagee Thursday in New York.

"I got what I wanted," Donohue said in an interview. "He's seen the light, as they like to say. So for me it's over."

The controversy had threatened to pursue McCain throughout the campaign, potentially hurting his standing with Catholic voters. A narrow majority of Roman Catholics voted for President Bush in 2004 and for Al Gore in 2000, critical votes in close elections.

The letter came after Hagee met Friday for lunch in a French restaurant in downtown Washington with 22 influential religious activists, virtually all of them Catholics.

Hagee has cited the Inquisition and the Crusades as evidence of anti-Semitism within the Catholic church and has suggested that Catholic anti-Semitism shaped Adolf Hitler's views of Jews.

"In my zeal to oppose anti-Semitism and bigotry in all its ugly forms, I have often emphasized the darkest chapters in the history of Catholics and Protestant relations with the Jews," Hagee wrote. "In the process, I may have contributed to the mistaken impression that the anti-Jewish violence of the Crusades and the Inquisition defines the Catholic Church. It most certainly does not."

Hagee has often made references to "the apostate church" and the "great whore," terms that Catholics say are slurs aimed at the Roman Catholic Church. In his letter, Hagee said he now better understood that his use of those descriptions, taken from the Book of Revelations, are "a rhetorical device long employed in anti-Catholic literature and commentary."

He stressed that in his use, "neither of these phrases can be synonymous with the Catholic Church."

The remarkable 2 1/2-page letter was no doubt inspired by the political storm Hagee's endorsement caused. Hagee leads a San Antonio, Texas, megachurch with a congregation in the tens of thousands. He has an even wider television audience.

When he endorsed McCain in late February, Donohue and other Catholic leaders demanded that McCain repudiate him. The Democratic National Committee also weighed in, highlighting Hagee's remarks over the years.

Some commentators even likened Hagee's affect on McCain to the controversy Democrat Barack Obama faced as a result of the views expressed by his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

McCain initially embraced Hagee's endorsement, eager to reach out to religious voters by securing the support of a prominent Christian conservative. But he was soon forced to put some distance with Hagee.

"Any comments that he made about the Catholic Church I strongly condemn, of course," he said during an April appearance on ABC's "This Week."

Campaigning in North Bend, Wash., McCain on Tuesday said Hagee's apology was "very helpful."

"Whenever somebody apologizes for something they did wrong, then I think that that's a laudable thing to do," he said.

Asked if he or his campaign played a role in brokering Hagee's letter, McCain simply said: "I certainly wasn't."

During the early primaries, McCain won strong support from Catholic voters. But Hagee threatened to become an issue heading into the general election.

Hagee is no stranger to provocative remarks. On National Public Radio in 2006, he said Hurricane Katrina was God's judgment because "New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God." He has written that the feminist movement represents "a rebellion against God's pattern for the family." On Tuesday, the Democratic National Committee said that considering those and other comments McCain still should renounce Hagee's endorsement.

But Donohue said Hagee, by offering his apology now, may have defused a potential problem from the Arizona senator.

"Had this happened after Labor Day I think it would have been an insurmountable problem for McCain to reach out to Catholics," Donohue said. "Now, with this behind him, I think the raised eyebrows in the Catholic community will begin to normalize."

In a statement posted in the Catholic League's Web site, Donohue added: "What Hagee has done takes courage and quite frankly I never expected him to demonstrate such sensitivity to our concerns."
:cross:Christ is the answer!
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Catholic League declares end to Rev. Hagee controversy

Postby evolution8 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:38 am

Catholic League declares end to Rev. Hagee controversy

Pastor John Hagee / Bill Donohue

New York, May 13, 2008 / 06:17 pm (CNA).- An apologetic letter sent by the Texas pastor Rev. John Hagee to the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights has put an end to the controversy surrounding his alleged anti-Catholic views, the Catholic League said on Tuesday.

Hagee had been criticized for reportedly calling the Catholic Church “The Great Whore,â€
:cross: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
evolution8
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Yeh » Wed May 14, 2008 7:04 am

Good, I'm glad you guys are all getting along.

The real enemy is out there, anyway.
Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of a man you are, for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is, and what kind of man you long to be. -Thomas Carlyle
Yeh
FNA Employee
FNA Employee

While IRENICS are emphasised, Polemics NOT Denied.

Postby Fr. Philip Mullen » Wed May 14, 2008 8:24 am

Wednesday in Whitsuntide (Israeli Independence Day),
05-14-2008

Dear Friends,

Dr. Hagee never should have used such language, if he was going to later retract it. It makes him look stupid. Of course, Mr. Donohue has also let some words slip which he regretted -- at least publiclly. In fact, BOTH men are as respectively anti-Protestant and anti-Roman Catholic as they accuse each other.

The problem is this -- the traditional language of Theological Polemics in Apologetics, going back to God's Word, allows for such language usage as ALL Christians have always historically used in their defence of Christian Orthodoxy. For EXAMPLE, the Decrees of the Roman Catholic Council of Trent use the SAME type of condemnatory language as the Orthodox Lutheran Book of Concord. Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, & Protestant Theologians have ALL historically traded Polemical barbs -- including such language in their respective CONFESSIONS OF FAITH.

While educated Christian Clergy & Laity are knowledgeable and CONTENT with the necessary and paradoxical dichotomy between Polemics & Irenics in Christian Apologetics -- uneducated Laity, and even some Clergy, are often FALSELY scandalised & offended -- especially by true Polemics.

However, true Irenics can also be scandalous & offensive IF FALSELY PERCEIVED to COMPROMISE Christian Orthodoxy for the sake of FALSE ECUMENICITY.

The BOTTOM LINE is for ALL Christians to simply SPEAK THE TRUTH IN LOVE -- which will always include the historical balance of Irenics & Polemics in Christ's Church. We can and must be friendly & civil -- WITHOUT COMPROMISING Christian Orthodoxy.

God Bless!

In Christ's Love,
:cowboy:
+ Fr. Philip Mullen, :crusader:
Orthodox Lutheran Christian Pastor
& British American Loyalist
http://www.youtube.com/user/frphilipmullen
+ Sola Fide + Sola Gratia + Sola Scriptura +
+Solus Christus + Soli Deo Gloria +
Fr. Philip Mullen
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Postby Ben Kenobi » Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm

Yes, this is particularly huge for me. I am a former evangelical, baptised in the Mennonite church. I know paster Hagee, I met him when I was in San Antonio.

Very remarkable his comments. While it is true that we do remain out of communion with one another, there is no reason to believe that the references in Revelations apply to any one Christian church in general. The use of the term by Hagee, in fact confirms the Catholic interpretation that the woman is the blessed virgin. If in fact this is the case, then the Protestants are calling Christ's own mother by that name.

I do not believe such terms as the 'whore of babylon' are all appropriate. The Catholic terms of apostate and heretic and schismatic are best reserved for other Catholics as they will understand the precise meanings of the term.

Truthfully, we are separated brethren, brothers and sisters that have long been divided, partially by our own sins, and partially by those who have come before us. I joined the Catholic church because I recognised that there is only one Christ and he is head of only one church. That church cannot be any of the protestants for all of them were formed by a Catholic priest leaving to form their own church. The only choice is the Catholic church which upholds the teachings of apostolic succession. We Christians are not meant to be divided in Christ, and that means leaving behind the errors of centuries previous.
Ben Kenobi

Contradiction In Terms.

Postby Fr. Philip Mullen » Wed May 14, 2008 8:27 pm

05-14-2008

Dear Bro. Ben,

You certainly have as much of a right to disagree with the the Pope & the Roman Catholic Church as I do -- but it rather surprises me that you
do.

\"Ben Kenobi\" wrote:I do not believe such terms as the 'whore of babylon' are all appropriate. The Catholic terms of apostate and heretic and schismatic are best reserved for other Catholics as they will understand the precise meanings of the term.

Truthfully, we are separated brethren, brothers and sisters that have long been divided, partially by our own sins, and partially by those who have come before us. I joined the Catholic church because I recognised that there is only one Christ and he is head of only one church. That church cannot be any of the protestants for all of them were formed by a Catholic priest leaving to form their own church. The only choice is the Catholic church which upholds the teachings of apostolic succession. We Christians are not meant to be divided in Christ, and that means leaving behind the errors of centuries previous.

God Bless!

In Christ's Love,
Fr. Philip Mullen
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Re: Contradiction In Terms.

Postby Bill Whatcott » Wed May 14, 2008 8:41 pm

\"Fr. Philip Mullen\" wrote:Wednesday in Whitsuntide (Israeli Independence Day),
05-14-2008

Dear Bro. Ben,

You certainly have as much of a right to disagree with the the Pope & the Roman Catholic Church as I do -- but it rather surprises me that you
do.

\"Ben Kenobi\" wrote:I do not believe such terms as the 'whore of babylon' are all appropriate. The Catholic terms of apostate and heretic and schismatic are best reserved for other Catholics as they will understand the precise meanings of the term.

God Bless!

In Christ's Love,

Yes, FNA members can certainly disagree with the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church. Heck you can even put forward an argument that my church is the Whore of Babylon if you wish and you believe such to be true, though such an argument might be cut to pieces rather thoroughly.

Now having said the above please clarify how Ben is disagreeing with the RC Church by his above statement..... :scratch:
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics

Postby Fr. Philip Mullen » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 pm

05-14-2008

Dear Bro. Bill,

What is your opinion of the official Biblical Orthodox Lutheran Doctrine of the Antichrist? And the Calvinistic Antichrist Doctrine? What of the earlier Patristic & Franciscan Antichrist Doctrines?

God Bless!

In Christ's Love,

\"Bill Whatcott\" wrote:
The truth is many sincere Christians view the Pope as the anti-Christ. While I see this as unfortunate and definitely a sign of sheer ignorance and lack of understanding of either Scripture or the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, still thats where some Christians are at and they should be reached out to rather than shunned.

Fr. Philip Mullen
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Re: Televangelist John Hagee apologizes to Catholics

Postby Bill Whatcott » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 pm

\"Fr. Philip Mullen\" wrote:Wednesday in Whitsuntide (Israeli Independence Day),
05-14-2008

Dear Bro. Bill,

What is your opinion of the official Biblical Orthodox Lutheran Doctrine of the Antichrist? And the Calvinistic Antichrist Doctrine? What of the earlier Patristic & Franciscan Antichrist Doctrines?

God Bless!

In Christ's Love,

\"Bill Whatcott\" wrote:
The truth is many sincere Christians view the Pope as the anti-Christ. While I see this as unfortunate and definitely a sign of sheer ignorance and lack of understanding of either Scripture or the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, still thats where some Christians are at and they should be reached out to rather than shunned.

Well as a former Lutheran (mind you Lutheran theology still influences much of my thinking to this day) I disagree.

[quote][b]"Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.â€
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Religion