Polish Holocaust hero dies at age 98

News and commentary occurring outside of Canada and the United States

Postby evolution8 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm

By MONIKA SCISLOWSKA, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 2 minutes ago

Nobel Peace Prize nominee Irena Sendler poses at her home in central Warsaw, March 14,...

WARSAW, Poland - Irena Sendler — credited with saving some 2,500 Jewish children from the Nazi Holocaust by smuggling them out of the Warsaw Ghetto, some of them in baskets — died Monday, her family said. She was 98.

Sendler, among the first to be honored by Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial as a Righteous Among Nations for her wartime heroism, died at a Warsaw hospital, daughter Janina Zgrzembska told The Associated Press.

President Lech Kaczynski expressed "great regret" over Sendler's death, calling her "extremely brave" and "an exceptional person." In recent years, Kaczynski had spearheaded a campaign to put Sendler's name forward as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sendler was a 29-year-old social worker with the city's welfare department when Germany invaded Poland in September 1939, launching World War II. Warsaw's Jews were forced into a walled-off ghetto.
Continued...
:cross: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
evolution8
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Yeh » Tue May 13, 2008 6:00 am

The perfect response when someone says, "One person can't make a difference".

To some 2500 Jews, this woman saved their whole world.
Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of a man you are, for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is, and what kind of man you long to be. -Thomas Carlyle
Yeh
FNA Employee
FNA Employee

Return to International News