Israel Holds Peace Talks With Syria

News and commentary occurring outside of Canada and the United States

Postby evolution8 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 am

[size=18px]Israel Holds Peace Talks With Syria[/size]
Israeli tanks return from a day on the firing range in the Golan Heights, a strategic area captured from Syria in 1967.

By ETHAN BRONNER
Published: May 22, 2008

JERUSALEM — Israel and Syria announced on Wednesday that they were engaged in negotiations for a comprehensive peace treaty through Turkish mediators, a sign that Israel is hoping to halt the growing influence of Iran, Syria’s most important ally, which sponsors the anti-Israel groups Hezbollah and Hamas.

Senior Israeli officials from Prime Minister Ehud Olmert’s office and their Syrian counterparts were in Istanbul on Wednesday, where both groups had been staying separately, at undisclosed locations, since Monday. The mediators shuttled between the two. Syria and Israel have not negotiated this seriously in eight years.

Syria’s motives are clear: it wants to regain the Golan Heights, captured by Israel in the 1967 war, and to re-establish a relationship with the United States, something it figures it can do through talks with Jerusalem.
Full Story
:cross: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
evolution8
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Yeh » Fri May 23, 2008 4:06 am

This is just Olmert trying to avoid going to jail on corruption charges.
Show me the man you honor, and I will know what kind of a man you are, for it shows me what your ideal of manhood is, and what kind of man you long to be. -Thomas Carlyle
Yeh
FNA Employee
FNA Employee

Return to International News