What should Christians do when they meet a guy like this?

News and discussion on issues such as abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, marriage, divorce, animal rights, etc.

What should Christians do when they meet a guy like this?

Postby Bill Whatcott » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:55 am

Bill Whatcott met this street person covered in flies laying next to a cart on a inner city street in Lipa

Dear Friends,

I came across this fellow laying on the sidewalk covered in flies last week when I got out of my culinary class and was heading to see my sister in law who was getting a lung biopsy at the Mediatrix Hospital in Lipa. There were people standing around who were quite indifferent to him, they all looked at me when I went over to this fellow to check if he had a pulse and was breathing and to see if I could shoe away some of the flies. The guy was breathing and had a pulse but he really didn't respond to me when I touched him and yelled at him and the flies were swarming in the hundreds so they didn't really stay away either.

My next response was quintessentially Canadian. I asked the locals standing around if we could get an ambulance to take this fellow to the hospital. They looked at me sort of amused and said no. The guy was breathing and they said he has psychiatric issues and might have been sniffing Rugby (a solvent). Anyways Mediatrix is a fairly pricey hospital and I couldn't afford to put him there. I asked my wife about bringing him home for a shower that was out of the question. Anyways, I left him there and walked away. I thought about him for a couple days and then realized I didn't even pray for him, so two days later I at least did that much.

At any rate I help my kids at the Eskwalahang Munti. They are poor, but they are not the poorest of the poor in the Philippines. Cases like this guy seem beyond my capabilities and amongst the wealthy in the Philippines there seems to be no desire to make life better for these sorts of people.

I generally hate communism, but I really don't think Filipino style crony capitalism is all that hot either......

"Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?" Matthew 25:37
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What should Christians do when they meet a guy like this

Postby Dan Mancuso » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Well Bill, ya sure know how to ruin a nice afternoon...

I guess the only answer would be the obvious one, 'What would Jesus do?'
So what exactly would Jesus do in that situation, there, today?
Lack of personal resources, in a society that can't or won't 'help' the lost and depraved...how much can you help him?
What would Jesus do...

Dan Mancuso
Chilanko Forks, BC
Canada
Dan Mancuso

Postby Bill Whatcott » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 am

Dan Mancuso wrote:Well Bill, ya sure know how to ruin a nice afternoon...

I guess the only answer would be the obvious one, 'What would Jesus do?'

I guess that is why I posted this was to try to figure that out. Jesus is God and has the capacity to create loves of bread out of nothing. I on the other hand could have fed the guy a meal if he was awake enough to eat, but that didn't even occur to me looking at the flies all over this guy's body. I could have took the guy home, but my wife was understandably not open to that idea when I floated it to her and I wasn't strong enough to carry the guy 2 km to my house anyways. I see no government services here in the Philippines to help the guy. In the end I wanted to see my sister in law who was in hospital with lung cancer and despaired of being able to help this guy, so I abandoned him. I think Jesus would have done something better than that.

On the other hand there is money in the Philippines. Indigenous Filipinos with way more resources than me could with very little sacrafice open up a place to help and care for guys like this here in Lipa.
Bill Whatcott
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Doc Notgay » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:27 pm

#1- You stopped and cared.

#2- You tried to find an answer.

#3- You wanted to take him somewhere but couldn't.

#4- Nobody else cared.

Perhaps you could have gone to the local priest for advise.
Doc Notgay
FNA Disciple
FNA Disciple

Return to Moral Issues